Long COVID is a condition where people experience symptoms of COVID-19 for weeks or months after the initial infection has resolved. These symptoms can include fatigue, shortness of breath, joint pain, chest pain, difficulty sleeping, and cognitive problems such as “brain fog”. We understand that these symptoms can worsen randomly and that even mild physical activity can trigger symptom onset.
Physiotherapists are trained to help people with long COVID manage their symptoms and regain function through physical activity and exercise. Here are some ways we can help:
1. Breathing exercises to help improve lung function and reduce shortness of breath.
2. Support and education – We can help you understand the physical, cognitive, and emotional demands of your daily routine and how you can optimize your daily activities to make sure you don’t overdo things resulting in a prolonged recovery.
3. Exercise therapy designed to progress your activity tolerance and functioning.
4. Pain management – We can use manual therapy techniques, exercise, acupuncture and/or modalities to decrease joint pain that can be associated with COVID.
5. Cognitive rehabilitation – “brain fog” is a common symptom of long COVID that can affect memory, attention and executive functioning. Cognitive rehabilitation therapy can help people with long COVID regain their ability to perform daily activities and return to work.
6. Balance training – you may notice decreased balance as a result of vestibular dysfunction. We can prescribe static and dynamic balance exercise to help improve postural stability.
In summary, physiotherapy can play a vital role in the management of long COVID. Our physiotherapists are trained to create individual treatment plans according to your symptom presentation, helping you improve in all these areas to regain function as quickly as possible. If you have any questions prior to coming into the clinic, please let us know!